Hey everyone! How was your Tuesday? I've got a great challenge for you so stay tuned to the end of the post for a functional, total body, full move and challenge! In the meantime, I hope there was some sun around you today so that you could ditch the turtleneck and pull on a tank top to rock those toned arms of yours - or shorts/legs, as is Katie's case (she is smokin' in today's post and daisy dukes!). ;) So many places around the country are getting bursts of warm weather (like Katie in Colorado) and today's Tuesday Trainer is all about tank top worthy arms (and cores!) - so click on over to Lindsay's site if you need some ideas to start preppin' for summer.

NewImage

I submitted one of my new, favorite moves because it's fun to do, challenging, and unique - it's called the One Arm Press-Up and targets your shoulders, triceps and core...But you'll have to check out the post for the video (I'm the last one on the page) and for a great workout compiled by fellow fitness enthusiasts! Love this weekly feature and so happy to contribute!

While there might be sunshine in other parts of North America, we've had a good dumping of snow over the past few days here in Calgary. Not only that, but it's been cold too - today was -10 C but -20 C with the wind chill and the snow fell most of the day. It was warmer on Monday but even snowier, and I put my running clothes on first thing in the morning because I knew I was going to hunker down inside if I didn't! I gave myself no excuse and ended up running along the river downtown since Mikey and I were sharing the car and I drove him to a meeting.

To give you a glimpse into my what it's like in Calgary right now, here are some scenes from my tough-to-finish-was-cold-the-whole-time-but-glad-I-did-it 11 mile run on Monday!

IMG 20120305 01214IMG 20120305 01221

IMG 20120305 01218IMG 20120305 01217

I run [in the winter] because it keeps me tough.

IMG 20120305 01227IMG 20120305 01230

IMG 20120305 01232IMG 20120305 01229

Cold but beautiful. Snow falling in my eyes and underfoot but worth the effort...Why do you run?

And now...on to the challenge. Many of the moves are very functional, and since I love this type of movement along with high intensity training, I thought I would throw out a challenge to all of you who love those types of things (Heidi, I'm lookin' at you!). ;) My mom recently brought the 100 burpee challenge to my attention via Shawna Kaminski (you can read about the value of burpees and her challenge here!). So this morning, before leaving for my first client, I decided to go for the challenge.

It was early, I wasn't fully awake or warmed up (I tend to work out closer to 10 am when my body finally feels ready to go!) and I was feeling some leg fatigue from 11 miles in the snow the day before. BUT I decided to go for it - and although it was tough, before I knew it the challenge was over! Are you ready for the 100 rep burpee challenge? Check out the video for the details (and every 100 grueling rep!); fair warning that it's a long video that takes you through the pain of 100 burpees (without the full real-time deal):

Burpees: love 'em, or hate 'em? I can't help but love this total body killer move. If you only have 10 minutes, do burpees! They will give you the best workout in such a short amount of time. Join in the challenge, and post your scores or create a video response to my video above on YouTube! Less of a challenge with each other and more so with yourselves - think about the great thing you're doing for your body and give yourself a time to shoot for. I still can't wait to try it again and beat my initial time!

Work it hard, have fun, and torch some calories with this move! Live well & be well, friends,

Bonnie

IMG 20120305 01238

My post-run treat: a warm-me-up, black Americano. :)

39 Comments
  1. March 7, 2012 at 10:14

I love to hate hate hate the burpees. sadly my BOD adores them :) so Im in.

• March 7, 2012 at 14:25

Awesome. I can't tell your body loves something that you're doing - you continue to inspire me with your physique! (and attitude and family and passion and drive - but I do love your biceps) ;)

2. March 7, 2012 at 12:37

Ha! Hahahahahhaa! You want me to do 100 burpees in a row? Ha! Hahahaha! Oh, wait. You're serious. Dang. Might have to take you up on this.....

• March 7, 2012 at 14:15

;) Already got your tweet - 9.52, Tina? RIGHT ON! :D ...you've caught the 100 burpee bug. ;)

3. March 7, 2012 at 13:16

Another challenge? You know me. I'm in. Adding it to my list. May take me some time, but I'll respond. Promise!!

• March 7, 2012 at 14:16

Just keep this one on the back-burner, Heidi! And on that day when you're not sure what to do for your workout or you don't have much time, BOOM - 100 burpees and you're done. :)

• March 7, 2012 at 14:18

They.are.tough! And Lindsay - 2 minutes of burpees <em>is</em> badass, for the record! It's an intense move that gets easier every time you do them...I gave myself no choice and just kept going. ;)

4. March 7, 2012 at 13:26

You blow me away with your snow runs! I'm going to do this challenge... as soon as I'm not so sore from Crossfit. Way to go - that's an amazing completion time!

• March 7, 2012 at 14:19

Keep this workout/challenge in mind for a day when you're not sure what to do, aren't too sore (although it can be done, like I did mine while sore!) and don't have much time - then bust it out. ;)

5. March 7, 2012 at 13:41

I used to hate running in the cold & snow... brrrrrrr I'm a cold weather wimp! love and hate burpees! I'll take the challenge :)

• March 7, 2012 at 14:20

I'm sure I'd become a cold weather wimp if I lived in a warmer climate OR had a treadmill - options are limited if you don't have a TM and never go outside. ;) Love warm weather runs though - maybe I'll meet you in your hometown for one?! ;)

6. March 7, 2012 at 13:45

I couldn't read your papers. Did you time yourself doing 100 burpees? I've done a 10-minute challenge before to see if I could do 100 in 10. I got to 91 but was shocked I kept going past 50. ;) I try to stick with a slow & steady approach (but sometimes you just have to stop for a sec & shake out!) 100 burpees are HARD. I would love to join in. My shoulders sore today, so I'm not sure if this is the best thing for them. We'll see. Nice job lady!

• March 7, 2012 at 14:21

Awesome, Allie - SO close to 100 in 10 minutes - I know you crank it out. ;)

7. March 7, 2012 at 13:47

don't answer! i hit post before your video finished. 9:28?! wohoo!!! you rock bonnie.

8. March 7, 2012 at 14:17

ugh. I'm in for your challenge. grrrrrr. btw, your fashion pics are adorbs. love the shoes!

• March 7, 2012 at 14:24

Hey thanks, Bex! LOVE Toms. :D (and my New Balance running shoes - the only 2 things I wear, even in the snow - the Toms just make things a little more difficult). ;)

9. March 7, 2012 at 14:20

9:28...got it! I'll try my hardest! Probably film tomorrow! (p.s. you are one sexy beast!!)

• March 7, 2012 at 14:23

Awesome! This is a good one to keep in your arsenal of moves to get stronger/faster at...I KNOW I could move quicker and actually can't wait to try it again. ;) You'll do awesome! - I think doing it with other people would help keep me going. Want to come meet me in Calgary for a burpee visit?!

10. Your snowy run pics look beautiful - I love the snow (as I sit in my 50* weather in Atlanta). Good for you for being tough and getting outdoors in the cold weather! 100 Burpees - wow!! I am not that tough, but I'm almost ready to get back into a strength routine and change that. :)

11. March 7, 2012 at 17:17

Way to go on the run, Bonnie!! Too bad you guys have snow again.. although it's been really cold the last few days, it's a balmy 13 degrees here today.. unbelievable! Oh my gosh.. you're crazy (in a good way!) for the 100 burpee challenge, but I like it! Burpees really are a great whole body workout. I can't believe you were able to do burpee-pushup the whole time, that's hardcore! I'll let you know if I try it :) (but I can tell you right now it won't be with the pushups lol).

• March 7, 2012 at 17:54

haha - you just make me smile, my friend! Thanks for the comment...when you're not sure what to do for a workout but you have time (and esp no equipment handy), pull this one out! :D ...hope you are well! Missing you extra-much these days. :D

12. March 7, 2012 at 18:34

You are a stud!! And I like how you phrased the challenge!! Compete with YOURSELF!

13. March 7, 2012 at 19:20

you are bonnie FREAKIN Lane and you are just plain AWESOME! i don't think i could do 10 burpees right now. my body is so out of wack!

14. March 7, 2012 at 20:48

Yay for burpees!! Thanks for your kind words too, Bonnie!

15. March 7, 2012 at 20:50

I love burpees, but after Scott Thomson's January burpees challenge, I done with them for awhile! Doing lots of squat jumps and split lunge jumps though!

• March 12, 2012 at 01:08

Ha! I can understand that, Tamara...the 100 burpee challenge will always be there! ;) Love squat jumps and jump lunges too - way to get those in!

16. March 7, 2012 at 22:25

okay, just did it!! but i had to break it down. 10 burpees then 10 bicycle crunches then repeat 10x. too 14 minutes. WAHOO!

• March 7, 2012 at 22:37

NICE! Jet-lagged and all, hey? WITH bicycle crunches thrown in? YOU are the stud. :D Nice work, my friend!

• March 12, 2012 at 01:08

YOU ROCK!

17. marilyn chalmers
    March 7, 2012 at 23:16

Way to go Bon! That's a great time...hey and you are looking pretty buff these days...keep it up!!!

• March 12, 2012 at 01:08

Hey thanks for the encouragement, mom! :D

18. March 8, 2012 at 01:00

ooof NICE work! I love hating burpees. They hurt, so good.!!!

• March 12, 2012 at 01:08

You said it - they hurt so good. :)

19. Oh man, I don't know if I could do 100 burpees in a row! I would have to take so many breaks haha. I would love to try this though...I just may have to :)

20. March 8, 2012 at 18:50

i love those kicks! i hate burpees!

21. March 15, 2012 at 11:32

Knowing how much 100 burpees hurt, is it wrong that I found it incredibly entertaining to watch you do them?! LOL! Nice work!

• March 17, 2012 at 03:05

LOL! Not wrong at all. I watch videos of people doing hard exercises and think "Oh MAN that would be tough!" all the time. ;) Give it a shot! and thanks for the comment Jess. :D

22. D
    December 1, 2012 at 16:34

Great challenge! On Thanksgiving, I did 100 pushup burpees with variations such as side plank rotation, divebomber burpees, side burpees, spiderman pushup burpees, etc. One thing I noticed is that you are not doing the squat jump at the end, just a little jump. Great job, but come on, challenge yourself! If you can run 11 miles, you can do the squat jumps! :D